Confidential Document Destruction
FREE Kane County SHREDDING EVENTS
FOR KANE COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY
When: Saturdays 7/14/18 & 11/10/18;
8 am-12 noon or until trucks are full
Where: 540 S Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
- This service provides on-site shredding trucks, where you can watch your documents being shredded if you wish.
- This is for residential material only, not for businesses (see list below for business service), thank you.
- Quantity limit is 4 boxes (12"width x 16"depth x 10"height) or bags of equivalent size.
- Staples, paperclips, spiral bindings, file folders without metal, and envelope windows are fine to leave in.
- Please REMOVE all binder clips, three-ring plastic binders and any larger metal pieces.
- Please do not bring periodicals, magazines, junk mail, or other paper that does not contain confidential information. Those materials can go in your household recycling bin.
Please note that we will receive documents for shredding only until the trucks are full.
What is considered confidential?
Confidential information such as account numbers and details, social security numbers, etc. should be kept secure and destroyed.
However, information like name, address, and phone numbers are not considered confidential as they can be found in phone directories or in common records. Those kinds of information do not need to be shredded.
Please DO NOT BRING periodicals, magazines, and other
junk mail that does not contain confidential information. Those materials can go in your household recycling bin.
Already Shredded Paper?
DO NOT PUT IN CURBSIDE RECYCLING BIN: Paper that has already been shredded is not recyclable in the curbside recycling programs because it creates a major problem at the sorting facilities.
BRING TO ANY KANE COUNTY RECYCLING EVENT: If you have already shredded your documents, you can take bags of shredded paper to any of the Recycling Events scheduled throughout the year (see
event dates). Please place shredded paper in paper bags (with top rolled and stapled once or twice) and drop them off at the the
Book Recycling area. We will put them in with the books that are beyond use and headed for recycling. The paper will get recycled.
Take to Aurora WestRock Paper Recycling Facility: Open Wednesdays from 1-5pm. See the WestRock website, and be sure to click on the word doc at the bottom for the
detailed instructions on how to get through the gate! The paper will get recycled.
SHRED JUDICIOUSLY: Best practice if you want to shred your own confidential material is to tear off the portion of the page that contains the confidential information and shred that and then recycle the rest of the sheet whole in your curbside recycling program.
If you do not want to wait until the next shredding event, you might try calling your bank to see if they have a free yearly shredding event for their customers; they sometimes do. Otherwise, here is a list of some companies that offer shredding services in this area. These companies serve businesses.
- ATR - Advanced Technology Recycler: 815-844-7779
- Groot - Accurate Document Destruction: 800-407-4733
- Iron Mountain: 800-899-4766
- Life Storage Centers of Aurora: 630-618-2161
My Shredding Service, Geneva: 248-387-9395
WestRock, Aurora (free service): 630-898-4231
- Shred-It: 708-345-8392
- Shred Nations:630-299-4886
- Shred Nations offers residential quantity shredding through local offices, find a location with the zip code location finder.
This list is not all inclusive, nor does Kane County promote any of these businesses above others. It is simply a list of options for confidential document shredding services, meant to serve as a helpful guide.