Confidential Document Destruction
FREE Kane County SHREDDING EVENTS
FOR KANE COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY
Free residential document shredding will be offered periodically in conjunction with the Electronics and Books Recycling Events.
Please note that we will receive documents for shredding only until the trucks are full.
Where: 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
2016 dates: Saturdays - June 11, November 12
Also Sat. April 23 - Geneva Earth Day Document Shredding at Peck Farm!
Hours: 8am to 12noon
- This service provides on-site shredding trucks, where you can watch your documents being shredded if you wish.
- This is for residential material only, not for businesses (see list below for business service), thank you.
- Quantity limit is 4 boxes (12"width x 16"depth x 10"height) or bags of equivalent size.
- Staples, paperclips, spiral bindings, file folders without metal, and cellophane envelope windows are fine to leave in.
- Please REMOVE all binder clips, three-ring plastic binders and any larger metal pieces.
- Please do not bring periodicals, magazines, and other paper that does not contain confidential information. Those materials can go in your household recycling bin. See below for more info.
What is considered confidential?
Confidential information such as account numbers and details, social security numbers, etc. should be kept secure and destroyed.
However, information like name, address, and phone numbers are not considered confidential as they can be found in phone directories or in common records. Those kinds of information do not need to be shredded.
If you do not want to wait until the next shredding event, you might try calling your bank to see if they have a free yearly shredding event for their customers; they sometimes do. Otherwise, here is a list of some companies that offer shredding services in this area.
- ATR - Advanced Technology Recycler: 815.844.7779
- Groot - Accurate Document Destruction: 800.407.4733
- Iron Mountain: 800.899.4766
- Life Storage Centers of Aurora: 630.618.2161
- My Shredding Service, Geneva: 248.387.9395
- WestRock, Aurora (free service): 630.898.4231
- ShredIt: 708.345.8392
- Shred Nations:630.299.4886
This list is not all inclusive, nor does Kane County promote any of these businesses above others. It is simply a list of options for confidential document shredding services, meant to serve as a helpful guide.