Confidential Document Destruction
FREE Kane County SHREDDING EVENTS
FOR KANE COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY
When: Saturday, November 11th, 2017; 8 am-12 noon
Where: 540 S Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
(Please check back before the event, as details may change).
- This service provides on-site shredding trucks, where you can watch your documents being shredded if you wish.
- This is for residential material only, not for businesses (see list below for business service), thank you.
- Quantity limit is 4 boxes (12"width x 16"depth x 10"height) or bags of equivalent size.
- Staples, paperclips, spiral bindings, file folders without metal, and cellophane envelope windows are fine to leave in.
- Please REMOVE all binder clips, three-ring plastic binders and any larger metal pieces.
- Please do not bring periodicals, magazines, junk mail, or other paper that does not contain confidential information. Those materials can go in your household recycling bin.
- Please note that we will receive documents for shredding only until the trucks are full.
What is considered confidential?
Confidential information such as account numbers and details, social security numbers, etc. should be kept secure and destroyed.
However, information like name, address, and phone numbers are not considered confidential as they can be found in phone directories or in common records. Those kinds of information do not need to be shredded.
Please DO NOT BRING periodicals, magazines, and other junk mail that does not contain confidential information. Those materials can go in your household recycling bin.
Already Shredded Paper?
If you have already shredded your documents, you can do one of the following:
- Take it to WestRock Paper Recycler
417 S 37th Ave., St. Charles, IL 60174; 630-443-3538; M-F 7am-3:30pm
- Place it in a paper bag, fold the top over and secure with one staple or one piece of tape, write in large letters with a Sharpie "SHREDDED PAPER" on both sides of the bag, and place it in your recycling cart. Some collection companies say this is not full proof assurance of recycling. So it is best to take it to WestRock or bring your unshredded documents to a Shredding Event listed above, where recycling is guaranteed.
If you do not want to wait until the next shredding event, you might try calling your bank to see if they have a free yearly shredding event for their customers; they sometimes do. Otherwise, here is a list of some companies that offer shredding services in this area. These companies serve businesses.
- ATR - Advanced Technology Recycler: 815-844-7779
- Groot - Accurate Document Destruction: 800-407-4733
- Iron Mountain: 800-899-4766
- Life Storage Centers of Aurora: 630-618-2161
- My Shredding Service, Geneva: 248-387-9395
- WestRock, Aurora (free service): 630-898-4231
- Shred-It: 708-345-8392
- Shred Nations:630-299-4886
This list is not all inclusive, nor does Kane County promote any of these businesses above others. It is simply a list of options for confidential document shredding services, meant to serve as a helpful guide.