Home collection service
Residents in the following areas may schedule one free collection per year from your home.
Elgin Township (Unincorporated areas only*)
Mill Creek SSA
Schedule a collection:
Call: 1-866-373-8357; 9am-6pm
Elgin Residents: 1-800-449-7587
* City of Elgin has its own program. If you are in City limits, please call the Elgin Residential HHW Hotline at 1-800-449-7587 for service.
Geneva had a program (2014-2016) but it has been discontinued. Geneva residents can now use the Naperville HHW facility.
- Aerosol products
- Auto fluids
- Ballasts (non-PCB & PCB)
- Batteries – auto, sump, power tool & household sizes
- Blacktop sealer - oil based
- Cleaning products
- Cooking Oil
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs (tubes and CFLs)
- Gasoline & oil/gas mixtures
- HID (headlight bulbs)
- Hobby & photo chemicals
- Lawn chemicals
- Mercury containing Devices (thermostats, etc.)
- Motor oil
- Oygen tanks
- Paint (Oil-based paints, stains, varnishes; and Latex Paint)
- Pesticides, poisons, herbicides, insecticides
- Pool chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Resins, Glues, Adhesives
- Smoke Detectors
Items NOT Accepted
How it works:
Collection will occur between 1 and 4 weeks of making the appointment, depending on scheduling calendar. A collection kit will be sent to the resident after they schedule the pick-up. The resident will also receive a convenient reminder call the day before the scheduled pick-up, so they can place the materials out for collection.
The collection kit includes the following:
- an industrial sized 4 mil plastic bag (which holds an average of 100lbs of HHW),
- a one-way secure tie and label for bag (used to keep toxic materials in and moisture out),
- labels for materials that are not in their original containers,
- an instruction sheet (complete program instructions and how to package materials),
- a list of Accepted Items
- and a survey card (postage-paid card addressed to the Kane County Recycling Coordinator).
Residential home collection service has been offered in the six northern-most townships of Kane County (including unincorporated county and all municipal residents) since 1999 to offer more convenient service to the residents that are farthest from the Naperville facility.
Between 1999 and 2016, the program served over 9500 households and safely collected over 837,000 pounds of hazardous materials. This service is supported by Kane County, and the Villages of Carpentersville, West Dundee, South Elgin, and the Mill Creek SSA. This service was extended to Mill Creek in 2012. The City of Geneva ran their own program 2013-2016, which has now ended. City of Elgin continues to run their own program.
In April 2017, the service provider changed from longtime vendor WM At-Your-Door Special Collections to US Ecology.