Kane County began a pilot program, accepting books at the Recycling Centers
, starting in December of 2020. This pilot will assess the viability and the logistics of delivering this service at the Recycling Centers. Books will also be accepted as always at Kane County Events scheduled to start up again in April of 2021.
Please note that this service is for residents to drop off their (preferably reusable) used books at Recycling Centers. Please bring your books in boxes if possible. We may or may not be able to accept large quantities from library or school clean-outs through this program.
Please read the accepted and Not accepted lists below and follow these guidelines to help make this program a success.
Location: 517 E. Fabyan Parkway, Batavia, IL 60510
West Dundee Public Works
Location: 900 Angle Tarn, West Dundee, IL 60118 SEE MAP
Hours: M-F 7am-3pm No Saturday hours. (See Holiday Closures)
- Text books (ideal is newer text books; 1-3 years old)
- Kids books
- Books in good condition, that can be reused
- Books of any age, in any condition for recycling
- Hard and soft cover books
- Magazines (ideally please put these in your curbside cart for recycling instead)
- Please bring your books in boxes if possible.
- NO Moldy or wet books (dry out wet books and place in curbside cart for recycling)
- NO shredded paper (accepted only at events, not accepted at Recycling Centers)
- NO large quantities without prior arrangements.
Quantities from residents (1-9 boxes): These can be delivered to the recycling centers without prior arrangements, during the open hours listed above under "Locations".
Medium Large Quantities (10-19 boxes): we may be able to take this sort of quantity, delivered to an alternate location. Please call Fred at Pacesetter Books (630-308-6387; email@example.com) to discuss options.
VERY Large Quantities (20+): Library or school clean-outs are too big for us to process through the Recycling Centers. Please call Fred at Pacesetter Books (630-308-6387; firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss options.
For questions about the program:
Contact the Kane County Recycling Coordinator, email@example.com; 630-208-3841
Notes on the Process:
- The County will be working with the same companies that manage book recycling at the events. Pacesetter Books and their partner B&B Books will collect the books delivered to the Recycling Centers and sort them for reusability and recycling. Some books will also be taken to and reused by SCARCE in Addison.
- Some go for sale online, some to libraries, schools, and other organizations.
- Books (older, worn, torn, outdated) that are not reused will be taken to a local recycling facility for pulping into new paper products.