Why is there a fee on TVs and Monitors? TVs and monitors contain lead and/or mercury and must be processed as hazardous material, a more expensive process that makes the consumer-based fee a necessity. The fee is paid directly to the County's contracted electronics recycler - eWorks, a non-profit that employs people with developmental disabilities. You are helping a good cause and responsibly disposing of your used electronics!
Data security: Kane County contracts with eWorks Recycling Services, located in Elk Grove Village. All data stored on computer hard drives will be completely erased or destroyed under the highest security (meeting all FACTA privacy protection requirements). They use the BLANCO data erasure software and the Department of Defense Standard 7-pass kill disk. This applies to all Kane County Recycling Centers and events, as well as the Naperville site which is also managed and served by eWorks.
As an added service, eWorks will now accept the delivery of electronic equipment from businesses, organizations, institutions, libraries, and municipalities at the Kane County Recycling Centers.
Guidelines for Businesses:
- For large volumes, ongoing quantities, or specific documentation requirements, please contact eWorks (217-364-7472) for a customized quote and service program options.
- Up to 2 pallets worth can be delivered without prior notice.
- Anything more than 2 pallets will require that you call to make an appointment (217-364-7472).
- Identify yourself as a business (for tracking purposes) at the time of delivery (bring a business card or a tax ID #).
- You will pay the same cost for TVs and Monitors as residents do: TVs and Monitors cost $25 (under 21" measured diagonally) or $35 (21" or over). All other items are FREE to drop off.
- Businesses can pay with a credit card at the time of delivery.
- If certificate of recycling, data destruction, or an audit report is required, please contact eWorks in advance of delivery (217-364-7472) to make arrangements for documentation.
Alternatively, businesses may see the whole list of electronics recycling companies that can assist with electronics recycling needs.