Confidential Document Destruction
FREE Kane County SHREDDING EVENTS
FOR KANE COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY
Last Shredding Event for 2021: Saturday, October 23
Where: 540 S Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
Hours: 8am-12 noon only on dates listed above, please arrive between these hours. Do not arrive early as you create the problem you are trying to avoid - a long line that is not moving!
- PLEASE take time to sort your material making sure that it all truly contains confidential material.
- We accept: tax records, medical records, bank statements, or anything with your social security number on it.
- We do NOT accept: cash register receipts, magazines, empty envelopes, junk mail, kids school papers, photocopies of jokes, books, tissue paper or wrapping paper, photographs, CDs or floppy discs, credit cards, shoes, Christmas decorations, plastic sleeves on files, plastic covered binders, or garbage. Please SORT it OUT!
- This is for residential material only, not for businesses (see list below for business service).
- Quantity limit is approximately equal to 4 banker boxes (12"width x 16"depth x 10"height) but you can bring them in any kind of boxes or paper bags. No plastic bags please.
- Staples, paperclips, spiral bindings, file folders without metal, and envelope windows are fine to leave in.
- Please REMOVE all binder clips, three-ring plastic binders and any larger metal pieces.
- This service provides on-site shredding trucks; there are 3-4 trucks scheduled for each of the above events. Each truck holds 12,000 pounds of paper. Documents are cross-shredded into confetti-sized pieces as they are tipped into the shredding trucks.
- Please note that we will receive documents for shredding only until the trucks are full.
Please check this page before the event to confirm, as things do change. See alternatives below if you have an urgent need.
If you do not want to wait, you might try calling your bank to see if they have a free yearly shredding event for their customers; they sometimes do. Also some Alderman offices are organizing small scale shred events in their wards; check with yours to see if there are any planned.
Otherwise, here is a list of some companies that offer shredding services in this area. These companies serve residents and businesses, and most charge a fee per pound.
- ATR - Advanced Technology Recycler: 815-844-7779
- Groot - Accurate Document Destruction: 800-407-4733
- Iron Mountain: 800-899-4766
- Life Storage Centers of Aurora: 630-618-2161
- My Shredding Service, Geneva: 248-387-9395
- Shred-It: 708-345-8392
- Shred Nations: 630-299-4886
- Shred Nations offers residential quantity shredding through local offices, find a location with the zip code location finder.
- UPS stores will shred for a fee.
This list is not all inclusive, nor does Kane County promote any of these businesses above others. It is simply a list of options for confidential document shredding services, meant to serve as a helpful guide.
Already Shredded Paper?
DO NOT PUT IN CURBSIDE RECYCLING BIN: Paper that has already been shredded is not recyclable in the curbside recycling programs because it creates a major problem at the sorting facilities. You can you put it in your trash.
BRING TO ANY KANE COUNTY RECYCLING CENTER: If you have already shredded your documents, you can bring bags of shredded paper to the Kane County Recycling Centers. Please place shredded paper in paper bags (with top rolled and stapled once or twice). We will put them in with the books that are beyond use and headed for recycling. The paper will get recycled.
SHRED JUDICIOUSLY: Best practice if you want to shred your own confidential material is to tear off the portion of the page that contains the confidential information and shred that and then recycle the rest of the sheet whole in your curbside recycling program.