Kane County Recycles Banner

Hauler Licensing

Ordinance & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

FAQs for Haulers

FAQs for Businesses
FAQs for Apartments/Condos​​
Electronic Payments​ ​

Annual Licensing and Reporting

Kane County oversees the annual Recycling and Hauler Licensing and Reporting process. The annual cycle runs as follows:
  • October​: Requests for License Application/Renewal are issued via email
  • November 30th: License Application/Renewal forms and payment are due via postal mail
  • December: License or Exemption certificates are issued for the following calendar year, and requests for Annual Tonnage Reports are issued via email
  • January 31st: Tonnage Reports for the previous year are due via email

Kane County Recycling & Hauler Licensing Ordinance

Ordinance 2019 update ​
Haulers: The ordinance requires that haulers operating in the county be licensed by the county and report annual weight data on all materials collected. It further requires haulers to provide recycling service to all clients served with trash service, including municipal residential, commercial, institutional, industrial and multi-family residential accounts.

Commercial Businesses: The ordinance requires any commercial businesses, wherein commerce is conducted (both profit and not for profit, including, but not limited to, stores, markets, offices, restaurants, shopping centers, theaters, schools, churches, government offices, and manufacturing facilities) in Kane County to separate and recycle materials, and to arrange collection services for those materials by a licensed hauler as per above list.

Multi-family Dwellings: The ordinance requires that the managing body or owner of all apartments, condos, and like-dwellings provide recycling service along with trash service to the residents of that dwelling, and further requires the residents to comply by separating the recyclables from the trash and placing them in the correct receptacle.​