The Naperville Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off is one of four statewide locations (see Alternate Facilities below). Since opening in 1998 and up to 2019, the Naperville facility has collected over 2 million pounds of hazardous materials from 44,370 Kane County Residents.
This facility is funded in partnership by the Illinois EPA, DuPage County, Kane County, Will County, and the Cities of Aurora and Naperville.
All Illinois residents may use this site regardless of county or municipal location, but it is for waste generated through household/residential operations (i.e., no business waste is accepted).
Location: 156 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville, IL 60540
Hours: 9am - 2pm every Saturday and Sunday
Contact: Naperville Public Works (M-F) at 630-420-6095 for inquiries
- Stay in your vehicle! This is for your safety.
- Clearly mark items in your trunk as HHW material.
- Expect that there may be a wait as there will be increased traffic due to the recent temporary closure. Please only bring accepted items to help expedite the collection process.
NOTE *AUGUST 2022*: The Naperville HHW collection site has had to restrict its list of accepted items temporarily due to a fire at a state processing plant. See notes below and check the facility's website directly for the most recent updates.
Items Normally Accepted
- Aerosol products **Not currently able to accept** (can take for $1/item at Kane Co. Batavia and Aurora sites)
- Asbestos **Not currently able to accept**
- Auto fluids
- Batteries – auto & sump (lead-acid batteries) **Only car batteries accepted at this time** (other rechargeable batteries can be recycled for free at both Lowes and Home Depot)
- Blacktop sealer - oil based
- Cleaning products **Not currently able to accept**
- Cooking Oil
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs
(tubes and CFLs)
- Gasoline & oil/gas mixtures
- Hobby & photo chemicals
- Lawn chemicals **Not currently able to accept**
- Motor oil
- Oil-based paints, stains, & varnishes
- Pesticides, poisons, insecticides **Not currently able to accept**
- Pool chemicals **Not currently able to accept**
- Propane tanks
(Large grill tanks only, no small camping size canisters)
Chicago: Goose Island HHW Facility
Location: 1150 N. Branch St., Chicago, ILHours: Tuesdays: 7am-12pm; Thursdays: 2pm-7pm; 1st Saturday of the month: 8am-3pm.Contact: 312-744-7672 or see website.
Gurnee: Solid Waste Agency of Lake County
Location: 1311 N Estes St., Gurnee, IL (Please use Rt 41 to Delany Rd (North) to Grove (East) to Estes.Hours: Year round, twice a month: 2nd & 4th Saturday of every month (except December).Contact: Appointments are necessary. See
Rockford: Four Rivers Sanitation District Wastewater Treatment Plant
Location: 3333 Kishwaukee Street, Rockford, IL 61109Hours: Saturdays: 8am-4pm; Sundays: 12pm-4pm.Contact: 815-637-1343 or see website.