Home collection service
Residents in eligible areas of Kane County may schedule one free at-home pick up of household hazardous waste per year. You will schedule your pick up appointment directly with Clean Harbors Environmental Services, the County's contracted provider, using the information below.
Eligible Service Areas for the Kane County Program
We have a new eligibility GIS Tool! Click on the link here and enter your address to check your eligibility (note: address must be entered as it appears in County tax records).
The following locations are eligible:
- Townships of Hampshire, Rutland, Dundee, Burlington, Plato, Elgin (All municipal and unincorporated residents within these townships within Kane County boundaries are eligible to participate, except the City of Elgin which has a separate program, see below.)
- Village of South Elgin (regardless of township)
- City of Batavia
- City of Geneva
- Unincorporated Blackberry Township
- Mill Creek SSA
Accepted and Non-Accepted Materials:
Generally speaking, hazardous wastes generated and accumulated through normal household operation and maintenance are accepted. Materials generated by businesses, including home-based businesses, are not accepted. Please see this guide for the full list of accepted and non-accepted material. Please note there are some additional restrictions for service recipients in the City of Batavia (see bottom of page 2 of the accepted items guide). Please also note that there are several other disposal options outside of this program for latex paint and household batteries. Please do not use the HHW pick-up program primarily for these materials, as it increases program costs and may cause the program to be discontinued.
To schedule service through the County Program:
Please call Clean Harbors, M-F 8am - 4pm at: (866) 466-5060
Schedule through Clean Harbors' web portal here: https://cleanharbors.formstack.com/forms/kane_hhw_pick_up_request
What to expect:
If you use the web portal or leave a voice message, a customer service representative from Clean Harbors will get in touch with you within two business days to schedule a pick-up. Collection will occur between 1 and 6 weeks of making an appointment, depending on the scheduling calendar. The customer service representative will go over the materials you plan to dispose of to ensure eligibility and will provide instructions about how to package and where to place the materials for pick up. You will also receive a reminder email or call shortly before your scheduled pick up. If you need to cancel, please call the Clean Harbors service number (866) 466-5060 no less than 24 hours before your pick-up day.
The County welcomes feedback on the program, particularly as we enter a new service contract. Please call or email at (630) 208-3841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
City of Elgin Residents:
- The City of Elgin operates its own program through a contract with Waste Management*
- Please call the WM Hotline at 1-800-449-7587 for service.
*NOTE - City of Elgin addresses cannot receive service through the Kane County program
Village of Hampshire Residents:
- The Village of Hampshire provides monthly curbside collection of household hazardous waste through its hauler contract with Flood Brothers on the second normal collection date of each month
- Residents may dispose of 10 HHW items each month or a mix of 10 HHW items and electronic items (max of one (1) TV per collection)
- Please call 630-261-0400 to arrange pick-up of these materials at least 48 hours before the scheduled collection (the second collection date of the month) OR schedule through the County using the contact information above
If the timing of the scheduled collection is not convenient or you are not in an eligible service area: All Illinois residents may drop off materials at the Naperville HHW facility.