Home collection service
Residents in the following areas may schedule one free collection per year from your home.
- Mill Creek SSA
- City of Batavia (please see City of Batavia website for details specific to your program)
- City of Geneva
- Residents in the Hampshire, Rutland, Dundee, Burlington, and Plato Townships and all towns therein are eligible to participate.
- Residents in unincorporated Elgin Township are eligible to participate. (The City of Elgin has thier own program and a different phone number, see below.)
If listed in above eligible areas:
Call: 1-866-373-8357; 7am-3pm
Elgin Residents: 1-800-449-7587
City of Elgin has its own program. If you are in City limits, please call the Elgin Residential HHW Hotline at 1-800-449-7587 for service.
- Aerosol products
- Auto fluids
- Ballasts (non-PCB & PCB)
- Batteries** – auto, sump, power tool & household sizes
- Blacktop sealer - oil based
- Cleaning products
- Cooking Oil
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs (tubes and CFLs)
- Gasoline & oil/gas mixtures
- HID (headlight bulbs)
- Hobby & photo chemicals
- Lawn chemicals
- Mercury containing Devices (thermostats, etc.)
- Motor oil**
- Oxygen tanks
Paint (Latex** or water-based paint, non-toxic, Please use
alternate disposal methods if possible, which helps keep this program available and free of cost)
- Paint (Oil-based paints, stains, varnishes)
- Pesticides, poisons, herbicides, insecticides
- Pool chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Resins, Glues, Adhesives
- Smoke Detectors
Items NOT Accepted
**City of Batavia program: In order to keep costs down and serve as many residents as possible within budget, certain items
are not accepted through this program because there are options in the community for recycling them. Please see
How it works:
Collection will occur between 1 and 6 weeks of making the appointment, depending on scheduling calendar. A collection kit will be sent to the resident after they schedule the pick-up and before the collection occurs. The resident will also receive a convenient reminder call the day before the scheduled pick-up, so they can place the materials out for collection.
The collection kit includes the following:
- an industrial sized 4 mil plastic bag (which holds an average of 100lbs of HHW),
- a one-way secure tie and label for bag (used to keep toxic materials in and moisture out),
- labels for materials that are not in their original containers,
an Instruction Sheet (complete program instructions and how to package materials)
a list of Accepted Items
an insert encouraging
alternative disposal methods for Latex paint, a non-toxic material (which helps keep this program available and free of cost)
- and a survey card (postage-paid card addressed to the Kane County Recycling Coordinator).
Residential home collection service started in the City of Elgin in 1999 and has been offered in the six northern-most townships of Kane County (including unincorporated county and all municipal residents) since 2000 to offer more convenient service to the residents that are farthest from the Naperville facility.
Between 1999 and 2016, the program served over 9500 households and safely collected over 837,000 pounds of hazardous materials. This service is supported by Kane County, and the Villages of Carpentersville, West Dundee, South Elgin, and the Mill Creek SSA. This service was extended to Mill Creek in 2012. The City of Geneva ran their own program 2013-2016, and is now included in the County program. The City of Batavia joined the program in mid-2018. City of Elgin continues to run their own program.
In April 2017, the service provider changed
to US Ecology from longtime vendor WM At-Your-Door Special Collections.